2017-03-18

Open link in new tab.

Hi,
I have started customising some pages using the wiki syntax, but can't figure out how to open the link defined in a new tab, instead of taking over the current browser window when the link is clicked.
I read the wiki syntax documents on this part but couldn't see if this feature is support.
The _blank (in HTML code) is what is needed.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Hi, I have started customising some pages using the wiki syntax, but can't figure out how to open the link defined in a new tab, instead of taking over the current browser window when the link is clicked. I read the wiki syntax documents on this part but couldn't see if this feature is support. The _blank (in HTML code) is what is needed. Any ideas? Thanks.

-- Open link in new tab
The wiki syntax doesn't support this. Can you do it on wikipedia. I could probably add something, but if there is a media-wiki convention for this, I'd probably follow it.
Best, Chris
The wiki syntax doesn't support this. Can you do it on wikipedia. I could probably add something, but if there is a media-wiki convention for this, I'd probably follow it. Best, Chris
2017-03-19

-- Open link in new tab
Hi Chris. I'm not sure, I don't use Wikipedia or Media-wiki, but it wouldn't make sense to me why you (or they) wouldn't have it.

I'm a Wordpress and Linux guy, in the Wordpress world it's normal to do this.

In a Wordpress hosted website, clicking an external link should (almost) never take you away from the web page you're serving/hosting. You lose your visitor and send them elsewhere. When the visitor wishes to come back or return to where they left off, they have to muddle their way back through back clicks or backspace or re-web search etc resulting in user frustration.

With a new tab/window on click, they just click back to the previous tab or close the new tab/window that was opened when they finished reading it.
(Edited: 2017-03-19)
Hi Chris. I'm not sure, I don't use Wikipedia or Media-wiki, but it wouldn't make sense to me why you (or they) wouldn't have it.<br><br> I'm a Wordpress and Linux guy, in the Wordpress world it's normal to do this.<br><br> In a Wordpress hosted website, clicking an external link should (almost) never take you away from the web page you're serving/hosting. You lose your visitor and send them elsewhere. When the visitor wishes to come back or return to where they left off, they have to muddle their way back through back clicks or backspace or re-web search etc resulting in user frustration.<br><br> With a new tab/window on click, they just click back to the previous tab or close the new tab/window that was opened when they finished reading it.
X